brand image
Put decades of knowledge to work for you.

Call: 401-737-9696 to schedule a consultation

Since 1989, our mission has been to help Rhode Islanders receive the highest level of service and results in Estate, Family and Business law matters. We can help you, too.

Protective Proceedings Lawyers in Rhode Island

Do you have an elderly parent or other relative who is no longer able to care for him or herself? Are you worried about his or her health and well-being?

There are steps you can take to protect the people you love who have become mentally or physically incapacitated. At the law firm of Sjoberg & Votta in Warwick, we can help you pursue protective proceedings so you can provide the care and support your loved one needs. Turn to us for trusted advice and experienced representation at any stage in your case.

Types of Protective Proceedings

The type of action you take will depend on the facts in your case. Our lawyers can help you find a solution that fits your needs. This may include protective proceedings such as:

  • Guardianships: Through the guardianship process, you or another individual can be appointed to act as guardian over an incapacitated individual. We can help you through the process of obtaining a guardianship for an elderly relative or disabled child. Additionally, our attorneys have experience serving as guardians ad litem in court proceedings involving children.
  • Conservatorships: A guardian is appointed over an individual. A conservator, on the other hand, is appointed to manage finances and property. Our attorneys can guide you through the process of having a conservator appointed to protect the finances of an incapacitated individual.
  • Nursing home placement: We can help you work through local state agencies to place a loved one in a nursing home who is unable to do so for himself or herself due to incapacity or self-neglect. If the individual does not have a power of attorney or health care power of attorney in place so you can make health care decisions on your loved one’s behalf, guardianship or other protective proceedings can be sought for them.
  • Neglect and abuse: Our attorneys can help you report abuse and neglect to the Division of Elderly Affairs, and we will work with the agency to make sure your loved one receives the protection he or she needs. Where there has been financial abuse, our attorneys can audit the case to uncover any evidence of misconduct. Then, we will work through the court system to ensure protection for the incapacitated individual.

Discuss Your Case With Us

Call us at 401-737-9696 or send us an email to schedule a consultation about protective proceedings in Rhode Island.

Estate Planning


Request an appointment with one of our experienced lawyers today.

Meet the Team

Partner Paul J. Votta Jr’s focus is on family law (including divorce), business and tax law.
Learn more about Mr. Votta’s credentials here.

Managing Partner Mark A. Sjoberg has earned a reputation in the field of estate law that few others can match. Learn more about Mr. Sjoberg’s experience now.

William J. Stanton focuses his practice on Estate and Guardianship Administration, Elder Law, Medicaid Planning, Family Law, and Litigation and Appeals.

Client Login